[fpc-pascal] source file size ?

Florian Klaempfl florian at freepascal.org
Thu Jan 5 10:47:32 CET 2006

Tony Pelton wrote:
> hi all,
>
> i wanted to ask a question, before i spend time going down a road to
> implement it.
>
> are there any know limits on how big a source file can be for the FPC compiler ?
>
> i was thinking about experimenting with "code generating" a source
> file that would become a memory resident database of sorts.
>
> this would make my application, implemented as a shared library
> "plugin" quite fast, and would potentially simplify the distribution
> of my shared library to my user base.
>
> are there any thoughts on having a source file that might be megabytes
> in size that is basically just structured data implemented as source ?

What means structured data? Source data size doesn't matter, they can be
up to 2 GB, the important thing is the size of the resulting parsing
pieces. I.e. very long procedures (>10k lines), statements, expressions
call for trouble. If you create a 1M line file with 100k procedures or
declarations, I don't expect trouble.