[fpc-pascal] charset conversion

Dominique Leducq dleducq at magellan-ing.fr
Thu Dec 7 16:34:44 CET 2006

Daniël Mantione a écrit :

> Op Thu, 7 Dec 2006, schreef Dominique Leducq:
>
>> Hello folks,
>>
>> I need to do some conversion from one character set encoding, given by its
>> name (e.g. value of encoding attribute in XML header), to another (used
>> internally, based on locale), and back.
>> I know of iconv on Linux/Unix OSes, but I would like to do it in a portable
>> manner, if possible.
>> Do you know an existing solution ?
>> I saw there is a 'charset' unit in the RTL of FPC, but it is not documented,
>> ant it is not yet very clear to me how to use it or even if it does what I
>> need...
>
> For the website generation, I use a tweaked cwstring widestring manager,
> see http://svn.freepascal.org/svn/html/adp2html.pp. For a more structural
> and portable approach, the functionality to specify encodings needs to be
> integrated into the widestringmanager.
>
> Daniël

Thanks Daniël,

The changes you made to cwstring is merely to export the iconv API from
it. As I stated, I already know how to use iconv on Linux/Unix. And I
don't necessarily have to deal with widestrings (for example to convert
latin-1 to UTF-8).
On MS Windows, I found WideCharToMultiByte and MultiByteToWideChar,
which take a numerical CodePage as parameter. But I don't know how to
map a charset name ('UTF-8', 'Latin-1', 'ISO-8859-15'...) to a CodePage
(any hint ?).

So apparently there doesn't exist a portable API on top of this.

Dominique

P.S.: About the cwstring unit, I experimented that nl_langinfo(CODESET)
always gives ANSI_X3.4-1968 (US-ASCII), unless you call
setlocale(LC_CTYPE, ...) before (... here being an explicit locale name,
or empty string to use the locale environment variables setting). So the
widestring manager don't work as expected...