[fpc-pascal] even linus torvalds prefer pascal over c

Daniël Mantione daniel.mantione at freepascal.org
Sat Dec 2 12:12:35 CET 2006

Op Sat, 2 Dec 2006, schreef Micha Nelissen:

> Daniël Mantione wrote:
> > (1) I'm using the in English not so common "informatics" instead of
> >     "computer science", because Dijkstra greatly disliked the term).
>
> How about "computing science", or is that too "Eindhovens" ? ;-)

Dijkstra disliked the term because informaticians/computer scientists
don't study how a computer works. "Informatics is no more about computers
than astronomy is about telescopes" is a well known statement from him.
Topics like algoritm design, computability theory, formal language
theory, computation models, automata theory, they have indeed very
little to do with actual working computers and to do research on the topic
pen and paper is much more usefull than a computer.

Daniël