[fpc-pascal] fpc packages

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Tue Aug 29 16:09:06 CEST 2006

Hi,

Can anybody please explain to me FPC packages?  I don't understand
them.  I read as much as I could from the docs, but still not sure.

What I understand from packages, is a set of units that work together.
 They don't need to be part of the FPC distribution though.

So could I create my own package (some framework or utility library)
and install in into the path where FPC has all it's packages
(packages/extra) so that my other applications could find those units
and source easier?  Is that what the "fpcpackage" setting means in the
fpcmake files.

Or do I create my own package, and in some other way tell other apps
how to find my custom package source and compiled units?

How do others use custom FPC packages?  I understand Lazarus packages,
but I want the ability for users not using Lazarus, to also use my
custom packages - maybe from the command line, etc...

Regards,
  - Graeme -