[fpc-pascal] Building FPC with gdb support for SPARC

Mark Morgan Lloyd markMLl.fpc-pascal at telemetry.co.uk
Tue Aug 29 11:40:50 CEST 2006

Tomas Hajny wrote:

> > I find I can't transfer the compiled bundle to another machine- I get "fp:
> > /lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.3' not found (required by fp)" which I
> > presume is telling me that it can't find the library version it was built
> > against. I'm going to drop that as an experiment since that machine is too
> > ponderous to build the compiler in less than a day, and upgrading anything
> > on it isn't feasible.
>
> I guess that you could still use the cross-compilation trick - bring the
> library from the target machine to your build machine and change the
> search paths (probably manually - using "-s" option and playing with the
> generated script.res before running the created ppas.sh) before linking.
>
> Some more tips (just ideas): Only IDE (fp) should be using libc (assuming
> we talk about Linux target), so only building that one on the target
> machine (make all in the IDE directory) should reduce the building time.
> Finally, it might be possible to build everything on the build machine
> (again use -s option when building, remove all "rm" commands from the
> generated ppas.sh before running it and possibly skip the linker too),
> transfer everything to target machine and relink there.

It turns out that this problem is entirely to do with the fp debugger interface.
If I build fp without debugger support then I can move it between machines and
it runs reliably on both, but if I incorporate the debugger interface I get the
failure described above.

I'm still working on other things but that leaves me wondering whether there's
scope for the main part of fp and the gdb interface to attempt to use
incompatible library versions at runtime. On the machine (Debian "Sarge") I'm
using for the build /lib/libc.so.6 -> libc-2.3.2.so, on the older machine
(Debian "Woody") /lib64/libc.so.6 -> libc-2.2.5.so.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk