[fpc-pascal] Re: [fpc-devel] FPC 2.0.4 is out!

Daniël Mantione daniel.mantione at freepascal.org
Tue Aug 29 08:24:33 CEST 2006

Op Tue, 29 Aug 2006, schreef Rob van der Linde:

> Thank you very much, I was waiting for the release of 2.0.4 so I could
> compile .DEB packages for Ubuntu Dapper as I had previously compiled the
> 2.0.2 release for Ubuntu for people to download. I just found out that
> there are now official .DEB packages so it will no longer be necessary
> for me to build them, great stuff.
>
> It would be nice to see 64 bit .DEB packages downloadable too, in the
> future maybe. I think .DEB packages are very important to support, since
> Ubuntu is now one of the top Linux distros.

.deb packages will only be available if there are volunteers to build
them. There were for i386, but not x86_64.

One problem with .deb packages (and also with .rpm) is that one needs a
full Latex installation on his system in order to be able to compile the
documentation. With .tar this is not necessary, because people who build
a package can use a pre-built documentation set.

The result is that most people who maintain a platform choose to build
.tar only. Of course, another point is that not everyone in the team uses
Debian or a Debian derivate. The x86_64 release was built by someone who
uses SuSE.

Daniël