[fpc-pascal] Widget Sets, Lazarus, Graeme Project, FPC Win32

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Sat Aug 19 14:18:58 CEST 2006

On Sat, 19 Aug 2006, Jason P Sage wrote:

> Couple Questions Folks
> ----------------------
> 1: Does Lazarus Work well in Win32 yet?

Of course.

> 2: Is it difficult to make a GUI that compiles for Linux and Win32 with
> Lazarus?

No. I do it often.

> 3: To Do it do you need to compile the actual FPC Compiler with Lazarus
> extensions or is it just Units you add to your code?

You just add units.

> 3: If Lazarus is Win32 Capable, is Graeme's Widget Set work on Win32 also?

They have nothing to do with each other, although in time, Lazarus could in
theory be made to work with Graeme's widget set. Personally, I think that
is pushing it a bit, but then, many things are :-)

> Thank You in advance.
>
> I've tried Lazarus in the past, and didn't have much success. And frankly it
> seemed Linux Specific. I know there were developers porting it, but I never
> saw a working Win32 Demo.

I work often in it on Win32.

> Bottom line is that I've been watching/waiting for Lazarus to Mature to the
> point to where you just download something, and can make a hello world
> dialog window in both Win32 and Linux and maybe toss some widgets on that
> dialog (Text Box, Combo Box, List, tree View, scroll bars, a data grid like
> MSFlexGrid, Labels, buttons, checkboxes, and maybe picture box or
> something).
>
> 4: Has Lazarus progressed to this level yet?

Yes, definitely.

> Forgive my ignorance here, I have spent time trying to find out, and
> download stuff - but my efforts have been futile. Additionally, if it
> doesn't work on windows I get gun shy. Not because I'm a windows fan - I
> love Linux - but I TRY to write applications that compile on both.

It should not be a problem to do this. I write articles for a German magazine,
and I compiled sophisticated database applications on Windows and Linux, no code
changes needed.

Michael.