[fpc-pascal] Magnifier vs xmag

Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho felipemonteiro.carvalho at gmail.com
Sat Aug 5 18:01:19 CEST 2006

On 8/5/06, Graeme Geldenhuys <graemeg.lists at gmail.com> wrote:
> I used xmag a lot while coding my new widget set.  It's used to make
> sure I am drawing the widgets correctly.  What does the Magnifier tool
> written in FPC/Lazarus offer compared to xmag.
> Example:
>   * Anything that Magnifier does that xmag doesn't?

Unlike most similar programs the magnifier does not open a separate
window for the magnification but instead puts a movable magnifying
glass on screen. So I would say this makes it easier to use.

I allows to dinamically change the magnification factor while
magnifying and can be controles with the keyboard. It is
cross-platform (currently with binaries to win32, freebsd and linux,
but should work on mac os x with Gtk too and on windows CE). It also
includes full user-friendly documentation.

More features on the website: http://magnifier.sourceforge.net/

>   * Can Magnifier also show the pixel RGB values, etc.

The stable version can do that only on Windows.

I just commited a patch that makes it also work on Unixes. It will
require at least Lazarus 0.9.16 to work correctly.

Go to: sourceforge.net/projects/magnifier/ and click on CVS. There you
can find very easy instructions to download the source code from CVS.

You can compile it with a simple "make", or opening the project on
Lazarus IDE. You also need to install it before using, with "make
install".

--
Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho