[fpc-pascal] Resetting the read only attribute

Tomas Hajny XHajT03 at mbox.vol.cz
Tue Aug 1 23:32:30 CEST 2006

On 1 Aug 06, at 14:57, ArĂ­ Ricardo Ody wrote:

> Is there a way to turn a 'read only' file to 'non-read only'???
>
> Reading the manual I can't conclude how to do this... (I'm talking
> about windows XP files)

I guess that it's mostly because attribute
setting isn't portable across platforms
(SysUtils.FileSetAttr always returns -1 on all
Unix platforms and Dos.SetFAttr is simply ignored
there). DOS-like (which includes Windows and
OS/2) attributes are partly emulated for
functions reading attributes, but their changes
cannot be emulated meaningfully (well, it might
be possible the other way round, i.e. emulating
the more complex/complete solution for writing
and the simpler one for reading, but the
usefulness would be probably questionable.

Tomas