[fpc-pascal] FPC on NetBSD (i386)

Marco van de Voort marcov at stack.nl
Wed Apr 19 11:32:04 CEST 2006

> NetBSD is not on fpc's list of supported operating systems, although there
> is an older version available (1.0.10)  which works fine, at least for my
> purposes.

Currently there is none. 1.9.2 had NetBSD/macppc support for a while, but it
wasn't maintained.

> I've tried to compile the latest sources (svn), but :

(as jonas already said, for current CVS you need 2.0 as starting compiler)

> My questions are:
> - is there interest in having a fpc binary package for NetBSD ?  I would be
> glad to dig in this direction.

Sure, but keep in mind that the _port_ must be done. It is more than a mere
(cross)compile.

> - could someone give me some hints about how to compile freepascal ? I am
> assuming that i should build some intermediary versions of fpc (step by step
> from one version to a newer one) .  Which is the newset fpc that can
> be compiled
> by fpc 1.0.10?

2.0, but it doesn't have a functioning NetBSD rtl.

The problem with NetBSD and OpenBSD was that usage was near zero, and
maintaining installations was more work than that I actually invested in the
port, specially now that I also have Linux and FreeBSD 64-bit installs on
the same machine.

Maybe in the mid-long term with XEN this will become less of a problem. I
quickly looked into this, but currently the problem seems to be that Linux
aims for Xen3 support, and the BSDs for Xen2.