[fpc-pascal] FPC and Lazarus as a main RAD tool?
public at szutils.net
Tue Apr 18 15:27:00 CEST 2006
From: "Jonas Maebe" <jonas.maebe at elis.ugent.be>
> > Since I testing FPC and Lazarus, I'm intersting in using it.
> > However, FPC and Lazarus currently cannot be competition
> > to Delphi/Kylix. But the most important advantages are daily
> > updates and upgrades and we hope it
> > will become worthy competitor one day.
> You forgot to add "for my environment and purpose" at the end of that
> last sentence.
FPC and Lazarus are currently not sutable as a main tool RAD (at least on
Winodows). If you have Delphi (7) Studio licensed RAD and developing
commercial applications, you have seen real RAD tool in action:
Advantage of Delphi:
1. User friendly IDE
2. Dynamicaly using components from IDE
3. Incorporated debugger (requre no currently large executable with symbols)
4. Optimized building performace
Advantage of FPC and Lazarus:
1. Daily updates and upgrades
2. Cross platform support
3. Code optimization for targeted processor (main delphi disadvantage on
Intel compatible processors)
4. Easier (C like) pointer manipulation
5. C like operators support
Code translation problem (Delphi to Lazarus):
1. Rudimentar files translation - require too many manul changes on each
file to change basic units and resources
2. Code incompatibilty in some cases (one of it is #4922)
3. Basic component incompatibility
4. Unclear/unsoported full Unicode (UTF-16) component support
It is far from that however, that Delphi is bugfree product, but currently
regarding translation problems, disadvantage of Lazarus IDE and some
incomaptibility/bugs in both, these advantages are not enough to set FPC and
Lazarus as a main RAD, at least on Windows which is still the most used OS
for global puposes.
More information about the fpc-pascal