[fpc-pascal] Division by Zero - not raised exception

Jonas Maebe jonas.maebe at elis.ugent.be
Mon Apr 17 17:17:55 CEST 2006

On 17 Apr 2006, at 16:52, Sasa Zeman wrote:

> Inside total phisical memory of 128MB, Delphi compililation is very
> fast.
> That mean that process of compilation is optimized to work with
> available
> phisical memory (at least under 128MB).

It may simply be that for some reason, Delphi requires less memory
and doesn't reach 128 MB when compiling your project.

> The same is case with command line
> compiler (dcc32).  I doubt it is contra-productive, on the
> contrary. Any
> attempt to work with swapfile lead to enormous performance
> decreasing, which
> is currently case.

What Marco probably meant is that rewriting the compiler and Lazarus
to work together with less than 128MB of RAM would be a lot of work,
which would negatively impact work on other areas and maybe also
reduce the ability to further extend and maintain the compiler and
Lazarus.

> In my opinion, FPC and Lazarus can try to ratioinally use available
> resources, not to force developers or company to buy new hardware.
> Note that
> many companies still work with relatively old hardware and they are
> not
> willing for further investments (often mean replacement old
> hardware with
> new).

FPC and Lazarus are each developed by a handful of people in their
spare time, supports 6 different cpu architectures (i386, x86-64,
ppc32, ppc64, arm, sparc32) and a ton of different OS'es (all of
which also require some compiler support). Maintainability and
extensibility are therefore much more important than memory usage and
speed, although we aren't bad at all on those counts, especially if
you compare FPC with C or C++ compilers.

There are no places in the compiler where we are allocating memory
just for the heck of it, and we also regularly check the compiler for
memory leaks. And when we see places where things can be done in a
more efficient way, we do change them. But a target of max 120 MB
memory usage for IDE + compiler + linker is quite something different.

Jonas