[fpc-pascal] Division by Zero - not raised exception

Sasa Zeman public at szutils.net
Mon Apr 17 16:52:15 CEST 2006

Regarding division problem. Florian was precise in explanation (suggested to
be part of documentation).

> I think even _if_ there is a focus on getting the memusage down (and there
> is, it is one of the internal linkers objectives), it should be more to
let
> Lazarus perform optimally with say 512-1024MB memory, and not to try to
> squeeze it into sub 128 MB. That would be counterproductive.

Inside total phisical memory of 128MB, Delphi compililation is very fast.
That mean that process of compilation is optimized to work with available
phisical memory (at least under 128MB). The same is case with command line
compiler (dcc32).  I doubt it is contra-productive, on the contrary. Any
attempt to work with swapfile lead to enormous performance decreasing, which
is currently case.

During building Lazarus, peak of used memory by comiler is over 85MB. As
well, 192MB of minimum reserved virtual memory by Windows is often too
small. All indicate that optimization of the compiling and internal linking
process should be one of the top priority.

In my opinion, FPC and Lazarus can try to ratioinally use available
resources, not to force developers or company to buy new hardware. Note that
many companies still work with relatively old hardware and they are not
willing for further investments (often mean replacement old hardware with
new).