[fpc-pascal] real numbers infinity

Dimitris Apostolou Jimis at gmx.net
Tue Apr 11 12:44:30 CEST 2006

> > when a real number overflows the program halts with EInvalidOp error.
> > How can I make the program behave the more standard way, where the
> > variable gets the value "inf" and execution continues normally? This
is
> > vital for many tasks, like fractal computation.
>
> You can use try..except..end block and switch -Sd when compile:

Thank you very much, this solves the problem though I think that
performance-wise it is not optimal. What is the reason for freepascal
being not IEEE-spec compliant? Is it backwards compatibility?

> Or you may take a look IEEE specification if it is necessary to create
> your
> own big float support for larger precision with fractals.

It seems really weird that there is no such unit in the standard
freepascal distribution. It would be a huge task for me to create one
with C-like speed.

Dimitris

--
Analog-/ISDN-Nutzer sparen mit GMX SmartSurfer bis zu 70%!
Kostenlos downloaden: http://www.gmx.net/de/go/smartsurfer