[fpc-pascal] Graphics in Linux?

Rainer Hantsch office at hantsch.co.at
Thu Sep 29 13:08:53 CEST 2005

On Thu, 29 Sep 2005, Peter Andersen wrote:

| Rainer Hantsch wrote:
| Here you are wrong :)  It's working in linux that's for sure (i am using
| it) But that is on a svga console. Display 800x600 and 256 color.

Well, this is actually useless because it only works on the local display. I
would loose/miss all advantages of X11, i.e. to be able to oberate an
applicatin over a network from anywhere.

| > Because I use a 100% Linux environment, this means in fact, that graph is
| > not existing for me when it is not able to hook into X11 and simulate
| > there somehow a graphics display. And exactly this does not work. :-/
|
| Ok so what you ned is something that are easy as the graph unit but can
| run under X11 in a xterm or what. If this is what you are looking for
| then please let me know if you find anything. Because i have not found
| it yet :)  But i am still seaching.

Yes, this is exactly what I am looking for.

What I wonder is that nobody found a way to open a X11 window redirect all
this stuff from/to it, since I started with Linux and FreePascal. -- And this
is more than 6 years ago.

All what would be required would be some kind of graphX unit, which actually
takes over the keyboard, mouse and graphics handling and makes this stuff
available through a set of procedures/functions/methods/vars. The result would
be a "graph" unit for X11, without forcing me to start at zero with
programming X.

Ok, I am not the right one to develop something like that, but isn't that
astonishing? You can easily find (-> thanks to Ken Wright!) a full ncurses
implementation (for developing text based apps), or full GUI stuff (as Kylix
does), but nothing for OOP or procedural mode.

mfg

  Ing. Rainer Hantsch

--
|      \\|//              Ing. Rainer HANTSCH  -  Hardware + Software |