[fpc-pascal] Porter Stemming for FPC 2.0

Elio Cuevas Gómez elio at mixtk.com
Sat Sep 17 16:05:10 CEST 2005

El Vie 16 Sep 2005 21:06, Lance Boyle escribió:
> This is very interesting. I've always wondered if anyone did this on
> purpose, and I've always wondered what the big deal is with just
> adding array range checking to C. A company with tons of internal
> software development, and whose existence is made miserable by buffer
> under/over flows, could surely pull this off. And surely it wouldn't
> break _that_ much code. For example, Microsoft could change the
> compilers that they use internally, and any programmers found to be
> depending on the persistence of memory "next to" an array would be
> taken out and shot.

Microsoft already added this feature to it's own C compiler (Range checking,
not people shoting), if i'm not mistaken the newest versionds of XP has this
enabled. I't sure thing that Vista is compiled with this.

> I'm sure someone will respond, telling me why this would be a bad
> idea or impossible, but that's my two cents worth.

I don't think it's impossible or bad idea, in fact major compilers support
range checking (including GCC) it's just not enabled default. It has also
been done by hardware, so this is indeed a big deal.

> Lance

Regards.
Elio