[fpc-pascal] Reading past end of file, no error

Tom Verhoeff T.Verhoeff at tue.nl
Wed Sep 7 17:13:29 CEST 2005

I am pretty sure that FPC 1.0.10 would give a runtime error when
attempting to read past the end of file.

E.g.

program ReadPastEOF;

var
  i: Integer;

begin
  readln(i);
  writeln(i);
  readln(i);
  writeln(i);
end.

when offered a file with just one line containing one integer,
would give a runtime error.  This is the behavior I would in fact
expect.

At some point in the 1.9 branch, this changed (and now it bites me).
Now it silently assigns 0 to i on the second read.  Even with -Ci as
option or {$I+}.

Can anyone comment on this?

Should I submit a bug report?

	Tom
--
E-MAIL: T.Verhoeff @ TUE.NL     | Fac. of Math. & Computing Science
PHONE:  +31 40 247 41 25        | Eindhoven University of Technology