[fpc-pascal] Lazarus and FPC integration

Agustin Barto abarto at gmail.com
Sun Oct 30 23:08:20 CET 2005

On 10/30/05, Florian Klaempfl <F.Klaempfl at gmx.de> wrote:
> Agustin Barto wrote:
> > I was talking about design. One example? Polymorphism with primitive
> > data types can get really messy really fast with ObjectPascal. It's
> > not easy, for instance, to have a generic data structure that can
> > store *any* primitive data in a type-safe way.
>
> Variants?

If Variants could store objects and interface instances, maybe. I
could use pointers too, but I really don't want to implement poor
men's polymorphism :)

I solved the problem using a single-rooted wrapper hierarchy (java
style). It's not elegant nor efficient, but it saved me from writing
the same code over and over, and having to deal with pointers, or
variants.