[fpc-pascal] Systems 2005: A first summary

Sebastian Günther sguenther at gmx.de
Sat Oct 29 23:38:10 CEST 2005

Tony Pelton schrieb:

> their (sun's) model is one where they offer the bundle that you need,
> where you may want a big thick bundle with the Java compiler and
> runtime and IDE, or you may already have the Java runtime and
> compiler, and just need the IDE.

For Java the situation is different. There are lots of IDEs, but Free
Pascal has only one major IDE.
Of course the talk is _not_ about a complete fusion of FPC and Lazarus.
'Only' the following parts should be merged:
- Website
- Download directories on the website. Especially we need a clear and
short explanation of the different packages.
- The Wikis
- Documenation? But this is a major topic, which we should discuss
separatedly
- Perhaps the bug system

There is no clear separation between FPC and Lazarus for the end-user.
For example, an average user cannot tell easily if he has a problem with
a component or function belonging to Lazarus or belonging to FPC.
Furthermore, many topics in the wiki could be shared between both projects.

- Sebastian