[fpc-pascal] Status of Lazarus

David Chandler david at davidchandler.com
Sun Oct 16 02:16:46 CEST 2005

Thank you all who responded to my initial inquiry.  Your responses were
helpful.

I am starting to get into Lazarus, as recommended by others on this
list, but I wonder about its limitations, given that it is still in Beta
release.  I have a large DOS era shareware astronomy program written in
Borland Pascal I want to port to a Windows and possibly also a cross
platform environment.  (There are a lot of other astronomy programs out
there, but this one still has some unique features.)  Are there major
unresolved issues or unsupported features in Lazarus that would likely
throw up road blocks if I take the plunge with a real project?  Is
printing to network and high res color printers in a Windows environment
transparent and problem free?  I also need serial communications support
to interface with telescopes.  The DOS version communicates over an
RS232 port, but I would like to add/substitute USB support.  How about
file transfer across the internet from within the program?  I don't have
this feature in the DOS version, but I would like to add it.  Would
these kinds of issues be barriers to cross platform development?
--David Chandler

(By the way, is there anyone out there who would like to collaborate on
the project?  If so, contact me individually <david at davidchandler.com>.
It is a star mapping program called Deep Space that does a lot with
multiple map projections, comet and asteroid computations, multiple
databases, telescope pointing control, and more.)