[fpc-pascal] FPCUnit article/tutorial online.

Sebastian Günther sguenther at gmx.de
Tue Oct 11 22:20:19 CEST 2005

Florian Klaempfl schrieb:

> Without the regression tests of our testsuite, FPC would have much less quality
> than it has now. Also code reviewing is something which helps a lot for complex
> stuff.

Some weeks ago I've discussed unit testing with a friend (who is working
in a larger team), as I had a light suspiciosly view on this topic. For
_complex_ systems with _clear_ structure and interfaces, they absolutely
make sense and are productive. But the entry level where they are worth
the effort is quite high. I guess that even for average industrial
automation applications (where I have used FPC in practice), the usage
of unit tests is a little bit exaggerated and won't help much.
As Michael stated: It depends on the usage case... And it's something
which I would call in German: "Da wird mal wieder eine neue Sau durchs
Dorf getrieben." (Probably not translateable to English, sorry). It's a
buzzword, managers like it, but there are cases where they really make
sense. But by far not in all cases.

- Sebastian