[fpc-pascal] FPCUnit article/tutorial online.

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Mon Oct 10 10:18:10 CEST 2005

On Sun, 9 Oct 2005, L505 wrote:

> Since I don't exactly know what test frameworks are, even after reading about them for the
> past few years, I'm going to ask some risky questions. This is not a flame thrower attempt
> at the test framework advocates, I'm just trying to understand what exactly they do, from a
> "newbie to test frameworks" perspective.
>
> Do test frameworks
> -cause you to spend lots of time writing test frameworks instead of program code?

That depends entirely on you. You should not write test frameworks for
visual aspects of your application, it will take a lot of time. But any
nonvisual code can be tested with little code.

> -even apply to languages with compilers and strong typing?

Yes, of course.

> -cause you to write your programs to conform to the test framework, instead of the program
> framework?

No.

> -have any actual statistics of success?

Yes.

> -have popularity statistics that prove they are popular (in the Delphi community) as stated
> in the article?

I'm not sure what you mean by this question ?

> -have any real world examples of how they helped personX fix problemY in significantly less
> time?

I personally don't, but as far as I know, for instance InstantObjects
use unit testing and in particular FPCUnit extensively to test whether
their objects code functions correctly.

Michael.