[fpc-pascal] FPCUnit article/tutorial online.

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Mon Oct 10 10:16:19 CEST 2005

On Sun, 9 Oct 2005, Tony Pelton wrote:

> i started to write a rather lengthy reply to this note, and realized i
> was starting to rant.
>
> so i'm gonna shorten my reply up quite a bit.
>
> i'm a java web app programmer by trade. i use Pascal for fun stuff.
>
> up until a couple of years ago, i went through a series of companies
> where i couldn't escape the _nightmare_ of unit testing mantra, being
> forced down the development teams throat ... _usually_ with a whole
> helping of other ridicoulous development "paradigms" freshly read by
> the manager right out of "CIO" magazine.

Your story is an example of how a 'good' technology can be ruined by
applying it too much or in an inappropriate way. Alas, this happens too
often when people who actually don't have a clue start dicating the
rules.

But that doesn't mean this technology is bad. FPC uses a testsuite
(not based on FPCunit) to test the compiler. And luckily so, because
this has helped the compiler team to eliminate bugs on many an occasion.

As in all things: use the right tools for the right job, and with moderation.

I personally wouldn't recommend using FPCunit in all cases.
The purpose of the article is to show that it is present in FPC for those who
want to use such a technology.

Michael.