[fpc-pascal] CreateGUID() [was Re: GUID code]

listmember listmember at letterboxes.org
Sat May 21 13:42:29 CEST 2005

Florian Klaempfl wrote:
>>A couple of questions, wrt FPC v2.x:
>>
>>-- Is Int64 supported in all platforms?
>
> Yes.
>
>>-- Is there a Int128 or something like it?
>>   When Windows was 32bit, Delphi had Int64; it's only natural
>>   that now we should have Int128 :-)
>
> Well, not at all. Int64 has it's purposes for e.g. file size. But
 > tell me applications where you need an Int128?

I can not come up with a compelling arguement right now,
much like I could not come up with one, say, 20 years ago.

Except that, it seems customary to have a data type double
the available CPU/OS max bit size.

Ah, here is one: what happens if I wanted to multiply
2 Int64 numbers?

I don't know why I would need to do it right now, though :-)