[fpc-pascal] Executable size compiler 1.96 vs 1.06

Tomas Hajny XHajT03 at mbox.vol.cz
Tue May 17 08:26:09 CEST 2005

Date sent:      	Mon, 16 May 2005 22:03:28 -0700
From:           	L505 <fpc505 at z505.com>
To:             	FPC-Pascal users discussions <fpc-pascal at lists.freepascal.org>
Subject:        	[fpc-pascal] Executable size compiler 1.96  vs 1.06
Send reply to:  	FPC-Pascal users discussions <fpc-pascal at lists.freepascal.org>
	<mailto:fpc-pascal-request at lists.freepascal.org?subject=subscribe>

> With compiler version 1.96, one of my command line applications is 1MB
> (win32) With the 1.0.6 compiler (using dev pascal) it is just 100KB.
> (win32)
 .
 .

In spite of the fact that there _is_ some code size increase in 2.0.x
compared to 1.0.x (due to additional functionality - multi-threading,
etc.), your problem stems most probably in the fact that recent
released versions of GNU tools (ld.exe in particular) don't correctly
strip the debug information. The latest GNU sources could solve this
issue. Please, note that it isn't a problem in our codebase, so
there's a little we can do about that. The next version should
hopefully contain a newer (fixed) version of these tools.

Tomas