[fpc-pascal] Absolute

Peter Vreman peter at freepascal.org
Sun Mar 20 18:52:16 CET 2005

> Hi
> I have a problem with the following when I try to compile it
> with the ppcrossarm compiler. This error dos not show when
> I am doing a normal compile.
> I have tried with version 1.9.4 and 1.9.9
> --------------
> Program bb;
>
> var
>   test:integer absolute 0030;
>
> Begin
> End.
> bb.pas(4.23) Error: absolute can only be associated with a var or const

What is a 'normal' compile? How do you know that a memory address is the
same on for example an i386 and arm machine? The use of absolute to an
address is only in the compiler for compatibility with old Dos. It should
not be used (and needed) for  other OS's like Linux (which is the only OS
that we support for ARM).