[fpc-pascal] Experiences installing FPC 2.0 and Free Pascal for Xcode Integration Kit

Jonas Maebe jonas at zeus.ugent.be
Sun Jun 26 10:44:24 CEST 2005

On 25 Jun 2005, at 03:31, Lance Boyle wrote:

> When running the installer for Free Pascal for Xcode Integration
> Kit, there are two cases:
>    (1) The disk image for UPInterfaces is not mounted.
>        The installer for Free Pascal for Xcode Integration Kit
> attempts to run a program asking me to locate the disk image but
> that program crashes with this message in a dialog box: "The
> application ChooseFile quite unexpectedly after it was reopened."

That's probably due to the same problem that causes the error you
post below, as that program is also written and and compiled with FPC.

>    (2) The disk image for UPInterfaces is already mounted.
>        The installer for Free Pascal for Xcode Integration Kit
> appears to proceed normally.

Indeed, then this program is not started.

> When working with the default Carbon project:
>    The projects builds OK.

It does? That's strange, since it requires several changes to work
with XCode 22.1 at least (maybe it's beter with XCode 2.0).

>    (1) When the program runs, if Command-Q is pressed, it quits
> with exit status 0.
>    (2) When the program runs, and the program's main menu ("Hello"
> in this case) is pressed, attempting to reach the Quit menu item,
> the program exits with status 207 and the output to the run log as
> pasted below.
>    (3) Additionally, after running the default compiled Carbon
> program and clicking the program's main menu ("Hello" in this
> case), the "Automatically hide and show the Dock," (System
> Preferences, Dock) feature quit working. Option-Command-D still
> works, however. Trying to re-set the feature to On from the Pref
> panel fails. Control-Clicking on the divider line in the actual
> Dock and selecting "Turn Hiding On" succeeds. This entire cycle is
> repeatable.

(2) and (3) probably have a similar cause. For some reason, some
procedures in the Carbon framework no longer function correctly if
floating point "invalid operation" exceptions are enabled. FPC
enables these at startup time, while the C runtime does not. You can
work around this problem by adding the following three lines at the
start of your main program:

asm
     mtfsfi 6,1
end;

This masks the "invalid floating point operation" exceptions.

Jonas