[fpc-pascal] DLL Linking

L505 fpc505 at z505.com
Wed Jun 22 06:01:13 CEST 2005

| C:\Documents and Settings\<user name>\Application Data\<software company
| name>\<application name>
|
| Or sometimes, if the installer is set up for it:
|
| C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\<software company
| name>\<application name>

Yuck, and since there is no "documents and settings" directory on Linux, it's
not a cross platform way of building apps. Of course, you've always got the
Linux Registry at hand, which is completely compatible with the windows one
:-( Yeah, sure.

I'd rather write to the main program directory, because on all platforms, you
have that directory avail. I've never been a fan of the registry either.. I
think it's mainly abused for hiding program keys/shareware and trialware
blockages. It's such a black hole, that people actually use it to their
advantage.. to hide things, yes.

| P.S. I've never used this in FPC, but run into it all the time in
| Delphi, especially in the more locked down corporate offices, the type
| where you have to have an IT guy scheduled a month in advance to get
| anything installed and then you have to tell them up front every single
| folder and registry key you'll need to read and write to.

I feel your pain.. I guess I'm just living in dream world running Win 2000. I do
see the "documents and settings" folder used a lot more often even in Win 2000.

I think I may continue to design software applications to write to the local
program directory, even if it requires some corporate pricks 30 days to set
permissions just to get the software running. I just can't design software the
wrong way.

p.s. hope this isn't too off topic for the original poster, sorry to ruin the
fun of your original question.