[fpc-pascal] C++ > C wrapper callback > Pascal

Michalis Kamburelis michalis at camelot.homedns.org
Tue Jul 26 09:29:43 CEST 2005

Urbansound wrote:
> Hi List,
>
>    I'm probably over my head on this one and some of the FPC forum
> entries talk about limited functionality toward C++, but here goes.
>
>    A Windows pascal application is recieving data from a C++, VisC API,
> which is set up as a class, and a conventional C wrapper, attempting to
> extend functionality into Pascal.  C++ and C are vis 4.2 MFC
>
>    The application crashes on the callback shown below.  The odd thing
> is that it crashes, simply using a string allocation in pascal.  Tried
> ansistring and others.  Assumption, is that the callback is possibly not
> configuring memory or address pointer correctly and then the String
> allocation is landing off location by register and stomping on a
> relative memory location.
>
>    Is this a valid implementaiton or outside the scope of FPC?
>
>    Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
>

> THE PASCAL is called back to, in the following:
>
> function L1_Callback(quote : pointer) : integer; stdcall; export;

One thing that comes into my mind is that you should make sure that
"integer" above really means what you want. "integer" is either 16-bit
or 32-bit, depending on FPC $mode. You may want to change this to
"LongInt" or "c_int", to be sure you're using 32-bit integer. If you're
mistakenly using 16-bit integer here, then a lot of mysterious problems
may happen.

Also, do you really want to put "export" here ? It's harmless, but
unnecessary, if you're only passing a pointer to L1_Callback to some
other C routine.

> var
>    bid_price : double;
>    s : string;
> begin
>    SendMessage(listbox, LB_ADDSTRING, 0, longint('L1 Callback'));

I would change this to
   TempString := 'L1 Callback';
   SendMessage(listbox, LB_ADDSTRING, 0, longint(Pointer(TempString)));
to be on the safe side.