[fpc-pascal] Different Object Code formats

Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho felipemonteiro.carvalho at gmail.com
Sat Jan 1 04:33:28 CET 2005

Hello,

This isn´t really a question about free pascal, more a general
programming question, but I thougth someone here may have experience
with this.

On my efforts to port fpc to symbian I got to compile a simple
application using my minimal symbian rtl. It´s of course assembled
with GNU Assembler for i386-win32, because the emulator uses standard
i386-win32-pe executables.

Next I tryed to feed the .o files to the CodeWarrior linker provided
by the symbian SDK, and it promptly refused the files with errors like
this:

mwldsym2.exe: Invalid object 'QHelloWorld.o': unexpected storage class 104 ()

mwldsym2.exe: Invalid object 'system.o': unexpected storage class 104 ()

I went througth the documentation of both gnu as and the linker, and
both say to be using COFF format. So are there several
compilers/linkers using different (read incompatible) interpretations
of what a coff .o file should be, all calling it COFF??

thanks,
--
Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho