[fpc-pascal] Nonfunctional debugger on OS X

Paul Davidson pdavidson at coraxnetworks.com
Sat Jan 29 10:05:03 CET 2005

Using XCode as well.  It would be good idea to upgrade your compiler to
1.9.6.  Go to directory containing fpc dir and:

   cvs -z 3 -d :pserver:cvs at cvs.freepascal.org:/FPC/CVS checkout -r
RELEASE_1_9_6

Build instructions are at
http://www.surtec.com/~rj/Xcode-FreePascal/#FPC/CVS-Quickstart

As far as variables are concerned, you can typically only see local
vars.  Never been able to see string in meaningful way.

You may also wish to re-install the fpc XCode files

pd

On Jan 29, 2005, at 1:14, Lance Boyle wrote:

> I'm trying out FPC on OS X using XCode and am having trouble
> debugging. I installed FPC a few months ago and I _think_ I have
> 1.9.5, and I used the very cool Xcode Integration Kit at the time. I'm
> using XCode 1.5 on 10.3.7.
>
> I also have installed GNAT, the Ada 95 compiler.
>
> I think GNAT replaces or patches GDB or some file associated with GDB.
>
> When I run the Hello World for the Pascal Tool (console app) with a
> breakpoint set on the writeln('Hello, World!'), the debugger sees it
> (execution pauses) but I'm not able to see the value of i, the loop
> variable, in the debugger window. I tried adding an array and I can't
> see it either.
>
> I'm wondering if the GNAT-altered GDB is causing the problem.
>
> I think there is a Mac GNAT person on one of the Pascal lists, so I'm
> wondering if I might get a hint as to what is happening here.
>
> I'll paste the debug output below.
>
> Thanks for any help,
> Jerry
>

> [Session started at 2005-01-28 22:59:40 -0700.]
> GNU gdb 2003-01-28-cvs (Tue Jan  6 00:06:50 GMT 2004)
> GDB is free software, covered by the GNU General Public License, and
> you are
> welcome to change it and/or distribute copies of it under certain
> conditions.
> There is absolutely no warranty for GDB.  Type "show warranty" for
> details.
> This GDB was configured as "powerpc-apple-darwin7.2.0".
> tty /dev/ttyp1
> warning: Mapped symbol file "/usr/libexec/gdb/symfiles/dyld.syms" is
> for a different version of GDB; ignoring
> warning: Mapped symbol file
> "/usr/libexec/gdb/symfiles/libSystem.B.dylib.syms" is for a different
> version of GDB; ignoring
> Program loaded.
> run
> [Switching to process 3019 local thread 0xd03]
> Running…
> warning: Mapped symbol file
> "/usr/libexec/gdb/symfiles/libmathCommon.A.dylib.syms" is for a
> different version of GDB; ignoring
> Warning: the current language does not match this frame.
> Hello, World!
> Hello, World!
> Hello, World!
> Hello, World!
> Hello, World!
>
> Debugger stopped.
> Program exited with status value:0.(gdb)

P Davidson
Corax Networks Inc.
http://CoraxNetworks.com

IMPORTANT NOTICE:  This message is intended only for the use of the
individual or entity to which it is addressed. The message may contain
under applicable law.  If the reader of this message is not the
intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible for delivering
the message to the intended recipient, you are notified that any
please notify Corax Networks immediately by email at
webmaster at coraxnetworks.com.  Thank you.