[fpc-pascal] MIDI & Kylix

Pedro Lopez-Cabanillas plcl at telefonica.net
Thu Jan 13 22:25:12 CET 2005

Hi,

On Thursday 13 January 2005 20:38, Peter H.M. Brooks wrote:
> I've been enjoying looking through these. Your smf.pas unit looks
> perfect for my requirements - it's nicely put together.
>
> I'm using fpc, not kylix, and I it chokes over the variable length array
> "fred : array of byte" is illegal in fpc, but presumably fine in Kylix.
>
> Have you got a version that has compiled in fpc? I've tried setting the
> Delphi compatability switches but it doesn't help. I could set it up as
> a fixed length array and modify the code where necessary, but, if you do
> have a version that works with fpc then I'd rather use that!
>
> While I'm asking, I don't suppose that you have a sample program that
> uses the unit, do you? It isn't, of course, necessary, but it would be
> nice to see, if you have one.

I've uploaded the latests sources (one year old) here:
	http://perso.wanadoo.es/plcl/alsapas/midiobjects-0.1.tar.bz2
	http://perso.wanadoo.es/plcl/alsapas/midiobjects-0.1.tar.gz

You need to use FPC 1.9.4 or later; 1.9.6 should work, as Jonas pointed,
because I'm using some features not available in older releases.

There is an example program "spysmf.pas", that shows how to read and dump a
MIDI file contents to stdout. To create a MIDI file from scratch is very
similar: First create an instance of the component, assign some properties as
Division, Number of Tracks, and FileFormat (0 or 1). You should also assign
event handlers for the OnWriteTrack (and optionally OnWriteTempoTrack)
events. Inside these handlers you should issue calls to the methods
WriteMidiEvent, WriteMetaEvent etc.; to start the output, invoke WriteToFile
or WriteToStream and the engine shall perform the calls to your supplied
handlers. That's all (more or less) ;-)

Regards,
Pedro