[fpc-pascal]Modifying cpu registers while in turbo pascal interrupt routine ?

Nikolai Zhubr s001 at hotbox.ru
Fri Mar 19 00:07:36 CET 2004

Hi,
Thursday, 18 March, 2004, 18:26:04, Harald Houppermans wrote:
[...]
>> forget it, it's a bug
>> it doesn't save all registers (so your program will crash if it uses
> longint)

> Yes I read this somewhere else... It doesn't store the high word of the 32
> bit registers like eax, ebx, etc.
TP7 only uses 16-bit regs, for longints too, hence no need to
save/restore higher words.

>> and it doesn't provide a stack (so your programm will crash even it it
> doesn't
>> use longint).
Of course interrupt handler will have some stack, though it is
usually rather small (like all things in 16-bit world ;)
Built-in stack checking won't work properly though indeed.

> Euhm... why will it crash ?
> Let me gues... if I call other routines from inside the interrupt routine ?
No. If you re-enter non-reenterable code like DOS services,
say try to open some file without special care.
This is getting too much off-topic I guess...
--
Best regards,
 Nikolai Zhubr