[fpc-pascal]Math/Algebra Unit for FreePascal

Agustin Barto abarto at gmail.com
Sat Jul 24 15:14:10 CEST 2004

On Sat, 24 Jul 2004 14:24:35 +0200, Harald Houppermans
<houppermans at home.nl> wrote:

> I doubt you know what happens "under the hood" of free pascal.

That's not the point.

> Also I believe the free pascal source code is fully available so you might
> look at specific parts ;)

That's the point :) No, seriously, I have some years of experience
working with Java and C, C++ and I'm almost a CS graduate, so I guess
if I had the time I could see "what's under the hood" and understand
it.

> I believe there is a free delphi version somewhere ;)

Borland removed it from the web and ftp site. Anyway I bought an old
magazine that had Delphi 6 PE, and apparently it's still legal to use
it. If you think about it it's pretty weird given that they have
similar versions for C++Builder and JBuilder.

> Open source usually have licenses as well which tell you what you can and
> can't do.

Yes, but you don't have to throw your money to a corporation that
could leave you hanging. Think about what happened with Kylix. That
project is obviously abandoned. Have you tried to make it work on any
the newest linux distributions? Good luck. If it was a free software
project someone (like myself) could take the source and make it work.

> I think Delphi and Windows are well tested and a excellent choice for any
> type of application =D

I worked several years as a network administrator for a a school of
engineering and I got a lot of feedback from the users about Windows.
I seriously wouldn't use Windows for any production project. It it
fundamentally flawed and a waste of money and resources. Linux could
be flawed too, but my money goes to a local LUG that makes good use of
it and not to a group of people that are rich beyond anyone's
imagination.

I don't know about Delphi, I've been using it for a couple of years
and it didn't hang even once. But, then again, maybe I was just lucky.
I have nothing against Borland, I own several of their products, but
IMHO free software is better than proprietary software.

I DO have a LOT agains MIcrosoft. Microsoft represents almost
everything that's wrong with capitalism and does everything it can to
get "better" at it every year. I live in a country that suffers from
this kind of company's behavior. I refuse to be an accomplice.