[fpc-pascal]Free Pascal - general commet / suggestions

Paschal Mushubi bs260 at ncf.ca
Thu Jan 15 02:37:46 CET 2004

Hi
I have been looking for a language to replace my reliance on C++
and FP seems like it could fit the bill but I have a few questions for
you veterans.
I develop in C++ not because I love it, am not even that good at it, but
because I can find free easy to use
libraries to accomplish a lot of what I need to do which is usually
developing Oracle
database apps.
Unfortunately I can't find the libraries (units) I am looking for. Has
someone tried to mimic the STL for example?
If I knew FP well I could write a unit that does this
http://otl.sourceforge.net/otl3.htm#toc for example.
or develop a generic database access layer like Perl DBI. Shouldn't
effort be put in developing Internet aware libraries targeting the web
instead of the traditional desktop? Any Internet site developed in FPC.
That wouldn't be a bad advertisement.
I have browsed the site http://www.freepascal.org but I get the
impression that a lot is going on that is not well directed effort in my
opinion. Do you really need to support all these platforms? Including
DOS for God's sake. Looks like everyone and their brother is trying to
develop yet another IDE. Sorry if I sound negative but I really would
love to see FP succeed because it is a beautiful language. You get ease
of use without sacrificing power. Produce more units to accomplish
modern computing tasks.
How can I help? Let me know if you need someone to test your database
access layer or may be a hash_map implementation.
Not another IDE please, or another Windows rich edit control :-)
Or may be these units exist I just haven't searched hard enough. If so
please give me directions.

Thanks.

p. mushubi