[fpc-pascal]Delphi "9" language features...

Wed Aug 11 21:08:36 CEST 2004

On Wed, 11 Aug 2004, Matt Emson wrote:

> > Is it allowed for D9 win32 target?
>
> We'll have to wait for BorCon04.

No it actually says that this will be for Win32 as well.
I see no reason why it would not be.

> > If it is .not only, see the .NET faq item.
>
> But it *is* a fairly standard concept (foreach is the widely used
> keyword..). It *will* arrive in Win32 at some point (if another Win32
> version is released) and so why not get the jump on  it? ;-) Make it ObjFPC
> if it's that troublesome ;-)

Obviously they are at loss for features, so the 'far-fetched constructs'
drawer was wide opened. I can understand the array, set and enumerated parts,
because they are part of the pascal language.

But the IEnumerated interface part is really over the top. It requires the
compiler to have 'knowledge' of certain complex types, which is a bad
thing and totally arbitrary.

The last time they did that was with Variants, which has been a dirty
mess every since. It destroys the beauty and strict typing of Object
Pascal...

Michael.