[fpc-pascal]Programs don't come back

John Coppens john at jcoppens.com
Wed Aug 4 17:12:27 CEST 2004

On Tue, 3 Aug 2004 09:35:14 +0200
Jonas Maebe <jonas at zeus.ugent.be> wrote:

> On 3 aug 2004, at 06:34, John Coppens wrote:
>
> > I more or less gave up on using graph - it's a bit of a headache to
> > have
> > the video switch modes, particularly while debugging. I don't know if
> > there is a more elegant solution, apart from trying to open a new
> > window
> > with a gnome-canvas in it or so.
>
> The best solution would be an SDL-based graph unit, I think. Nobody's
> working on that though, afaik.
>

> Jonas

Hi Jonas.

I did a 'client-server' type of thing. On the Pascal-side it looks like a
Graph-compatible library. But instead of switching modes, it starts a new
window, with a gnome-canvas in it. The 'graph' lib then sends its graphic
commands through a pipe to the new window.

It is far from usable (many things are missing) but the idea has several
pluses (in my opinion):

1) The 'remote graph' can be called from other programs as the interface
is just the pipe. I could even be called from bash... (never tried)

2) The gnome canvas has nice anti-aliased graphics, and the resulting
plots _do_ look very nice.

As I said, it is far from complete (eg. no fonts yet) and not very stable
either. One thing I haven't found yet is a way to save the gnome-canvas to
a graphics file (I just made screen shots).

With the experience I had later with gnome-print library, I could image
that this could also be combined somehow.

Is there interest in this?

John
------