[fpc-pascal]FP newbie

Michael A. Hess mhess at miraclec.com
Thu Nov 13 19:02:59 CET 2003

Mattias Gaertner wrote:

> AFAIK the main reason, why the gtk interface for the LCL was started, was
> simply, that the devels had experience with gtk, but no one had experience
> with wxWindows.

I'm stretching my memory here but as Marco indicated, wxWindows wasn't
mature at the time. Also if I remember it didn't deal with signals well
at all. Secondly at that time it did not support GTK. It only supported
Windows and some Xt and Motif.

It is also written in and for C++. Sooooo this is what we would have
been doing.

The LCL needs to be not only widget set independent but platform
independent. If we wrote the LCL just to wsWindows then we would
eliminate the possibility of using Lazarus on other platforms that FPC
supported. So we made an abstraction layer between the LCL and the GUI
widget set being used. So using wxWindows for GTK would mean.

LCL -> LCL/interface -> C++ wrapper -> wxWindows -> GTK+

Not only would we have to write the interface for wxWindows but it would
have to be a wrapper around C++ since FPC doesn't support C++ directly.
Alot of extra work instead of going directly to GTK. Besides as I stated
wxWindows didn't support GTK at the time. This would have been wxWindows
1.0 and you can still see what it supported by going to the their web site.

Phone: 570-388-2211  Fax: 570-388-6101