[fpc-pascal]OT: An FPC program in LinuxFormat Magazine

Anton Tichawa anton.tichawa at chello.at
Tue Mar 25 08:22:15 CET 2003

On Monday 24 March 2003 23:16, you wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 24, 2003 at 04:17:28PM +0100, Florian Klaempfl wrote:
> > A.J. Venter wrote:
> > >Just in case anybody needs some ammo against people who think pascal is
> > >dead.
> > >This months Linux format includes AJ's Internet Cafe For LTSP (now
> > >DireqCafe) which was written in FPC.
> > >Just goes to show, aint no proble it can't solve.
> > >
> > >And before anybody acuses me of just downright spamming, yes I am the
> > >A.J. that wrote it, and no I am not trying to make anybody buy it, it's
> > >GPL anyway.
> > >In case you do care, akinimod.sf.net, otherwize just ignore the post.
> > >
> > >A.J.
> >
> > I think such a posting isn't off topic and it's interessting to hear
> > about such things :)
>
> Absolutely. A lot of (up-them-selves) programmers tend to believe that
> pascal is a dead language, a language for kids. I'm happy to read of
> such a post. Just as a matter of interest, pascal might be an old
> language, a strongly typed language, but it is certainly NOT dead and
> any of my software engineer lecturers will agree with it's use as a
> language for developing software.
>
> my 2 cents...
>
> James

i aggree that pascal lives. i see it that way, as blaise pascal says,
mathematically, there might be a real big chance, and if you multiply that
real big chance with a probabilty of 50 %, you'll get surely more than one.
that's a kind of carrefour (french; in english it's crossroad, i think) of
mystery and calculus. pascal will live as long as some programmers bear in
mind something like:

***
begin
  repeat
    writeln('hello, world!');
    if keypressed() then begin
      bla bla
      ..
    end;
  until false;
end.
***

because that might be of value in the future. that's a common feature of
pascal and rock'n'roll, isn't it?

anton.

"Adas Methode war, wie sich zeigen wird, Tagträume in offenbar korrekte
Berechnungen einzuweben."

Doris Langley Moore: Ada, Countess of Lovelace (London 1977).

Anton Tichawa
Volkertstrasse 19 / 20
A-1020 Wien
mobil: +43 664 52 07 907