[fpc-pascal]The state of FPC - wrap up

Matt Emson memsom at interalpha.co.uk
Fri Jul 25 12:17:53 CEST 2003

> If someone contributes a tool which does the necessary preprocessing
> i.e. including needed files, then I will set up a system where the
> source files are 'assembled' into single-source units for a given
> platform/cpu combination. These single-source units can be distributed
> with each platform or separately downloaded.

This was all I ever really wanted to be honest.

> This tool can be run on a daily basis on our CVS server, and zips can be
> made available as a service to the FPC users.

Cool, that sounds like a good idea.

> As for the tool, I ask only 3 things:
> 1. It should compile with FPC and should be cross-platform.
> 2. Should obey {$ifdefs}/{$define} and the like, such as
>    run-time platform selection.
>    (linux based tool must generate sources for e.g. win32)
> 3. As for the rest, it would be good to have the command-line options
>    which match the compiler's:
>    -d define symbol
>    -u undefine symbol
>    -I/-Fi set include path
>    -T select target os/cpu
>    -FE set output name.
>
> If someone makes this tool, I will do the rest.

I will look at it. I will initially write it in Delphi, simply because that
is to hand, but will get it to compile under FPC 1.1x when I have got it to
work here.

One question, do you want a recursive batch job, or single file operation.
i.e, do all in one go, respecting commandd like options, or simply the files
passed to the command line. Think of the difference between gcc and fpc. gcc
expects explicitly to be given all files at command line, fpc will look for
them automatically. I have no preference and may simply add this as an
option.

> Hopefully, this proposal helps to end an otherwise lengthy discussion.

Done ;-)

Matt