[fpc-pascal]The state of FPC (was: Synapse for FPC)

Matt Emson memsom at interalpha.co.uk
Thu Jul 24 15:55:41 CEST 2003

> Ifdeffing them all is simply not possible, and most system independant
units
> have a system independant part (header, but also utility routines etc) a
> dependant part, and sometimes even a processor dependant part (but that
> usually is much smaller)

What I suggested used no IFDEFS, none at all. Each platform end user
release, has a set of platform specific units created by a preprocessor.
This would be specifically for x86/Dos, x86/Windows, x86/Solaris, x86/BSD,
x86/Linux, ppc/MacOSClassic, ppc/Linux etc. Surely this removes your problem
with the idea. Single minded units that only contain a single platforms
code. You give these to the end users, and you use these for unit testing
etc in pre-release. However, the FPC developers continue to use the include
file style units internally.

Your source code should document your work, and making the document hard to
read makes the work harder to use. IMHO of course.

Matt