[fpc-pascal]Synapse for FPC

Lukas Gebauer gebylist at mlp.cz
Wed Jul 23 13:19:22 CEST 2003

> > Sure, but Borland is home for Synapse.
> Also for FPC. See FPC as yet another Delphi version to support. If you
> do a large Delphi product that will compile with a lot of versions, you
> have to make adaptations also.

But is is not easy! I create my code on Delphi3, and it working on
all higher versions without any modification! It is same for Kylixes!
I have only one version of sources, and this sources working under
Kylix with very small modifications. It is very easy!

When I porting Synapse into FPC, then i find lot of incompatibilities
between Win32FPC and LinuxFPC. For example, look to Kylix
sysutils.pas... in FPC is not here lot of stuffs! Some stuffs is in
another units, some stuffs is missing at all. This is very bad
situation for create programs for Delphi and FPC!

> I'm thinking about
> - dividing stuff over files (units, includefiles), so that alternate
> 	versions can be added for other os/processor/version/

I know. I only not need this yet. That is all. And redesign of this
huge library needs a time.

> Note that I am talking about all those defined types and constants in the
> source, _NOT_ that you should use the actual functions in unit sockets.

When you ask me why I using my sockets definitions instead another
one?

Because lot of delphi versions have this definition file different!
It is strange, because then I must use lot of INDEFS. Additionally
Borlands files not have IPv6 stuffs, it not supporting Winsock2 level
properly, etc. I create my own definitions what working on all
supported platforms and it create exactly same socket interface for
all supported platforms.
(for example, It provide WSAStartp function for Linux platform.
Socket developing on both platform is exacly same by my synsock.pas.
;-))

--
Lukas Gebauer.

E-mail: gebauerl at mlp.cz