[fpc-pascal]FPC-1.0.6 for FreeBSD 5.0

Marco van de Voort marcov at stack.nl
Thu Feb 27 12:03:17 CET 2003

> I have just installed FreeBSD 5.0 and I want to use FPC-1.0.6. I have used
> FPC-0.99..1.0.6 on Linux-Slackware and it has worked fine for all my
> needs, but now I have re-switched to FreeBSD. So, is somebody using
> FPC-1.0.6 on FreeBSD 5.0, and what kind of problem did he/she find?

The FreeBSD -CURRENT branch (5.0) is still in its fase of development,
probably till 5.2, this can be noticed by 5.0 being substantialer slower
than 4.x, which is because 5.x still has to be performance tuned with
reallife workloads.

However from a FPC point of view it doesn't matter much. Just grab the most
recent FreeBSD version, and install it on a FreeBSD 4.x or 5.x installation.

Nearly all things will work, except a few very Linux specific calls in unit
Unix. Also threading in 1.1 has a few performance problems, but that is a
FreeBSD problem, not a FPC one. (we hope it goes away when KSE pthreading is
introduced in a next 5.x version)