[fpc-pascal]char 0 in ansistrings

Mark Emerson ChiefAngel at angelbase.com
Tue Dec 2 08:48:57 CET 2003

Jonas,

I'm afraid my question was unclear.  Unfortunately, I asked two
questions with opposite senses, and I don't know which one you
answered.  Please clarify which of my interpretations of your answer
is what you intended:

(1) It is ONLY absolutely safe to include chr(0)....IF you typecast
your ansistring to a pchar, and thus IF you treat it as an ansistring
WITHOUT the typecast to pchar, it is NOT safe.

(2) It IS absolutely safe to include chr(0), UNLESS you typecast it
to pchar...because typcasting to pchar is an INSTANCE  (per my 2nd
question) where it will cause different behavior...

Gimme a (1) or a (2).  Thanks.

Mark