L D Blake
ldblake at sympatico.ca
Sat Aug 30 15:20:22 CEST 2003
In reply to your message of August 30, 2003
> We can discuss principles for hours of course, but that doesn't help you.
> Did you try to change the HWND type from longint to DWORD or Cardinal
> (which is the same) in the windows unit ? If so, does it help ?
I re-declared Hwind to be a longword in my own software, which should overide
the declaration in the windows unit... the program runs now, but I still get
an error each time I launch an HTML file in IE... it's only HTML and only in
> Did you turn off range checking ? If so, what is the effect ?
IF I turn off range checking the program runs perfectly, but if I open windows
on top of it (as you would with almost any media player) the display gets
messed up... bits of the window open in the wrong places, the title bars are
lost, etc. (FWIW, I consider it bad practice to turn off range checking since
that prevents error detection and can lead to, well, this...)
> At work I run NT 4, at home Windows 2000. I repeat my offer:
> If you want to send me your code, I can perform the necessary tests.
Ummm... I'll give it one more pass here if the problem persists I just might
take you up on that.
I've been thinking about timelines... "What else happened about the same time
this showed up?"... and the day before this all started I installed service
pack 4 (now there's a scary thought) and just before that I test-ran Resource
Hacker while looking for guidance on building resource files... I doubt
there's a connection since it's only the FP code that's giving me any
trouble... but I'm gonna spend a couple of days and nuke my system then
reinstall everything just to play it safe (thank <insert deity of choice> for
If I can't get this cleared up, the only remaining alternative is to ditch FP
and find something else to program in... but I really don't want to do that.
Despite this bit of strangeness and despite issues with string handling and
now with the windows unit's declarations, I've actually been enjoying it. This
"el-different" media player was a learning project... Pascal wise I'm pretty
sure I've made no serious mistakes but these problems are giving me fits (at
least in the figurative sense).
More information about the fpc-pascal