[fpc-pascal]plugin frameworks.

Alan Grimes alangrimes at starpower.net
Thu Jul 18 18:24:28 CEST 2002

> >I was greatly saddened when I read in one of the manuals that the
> >overlay feature had been removed...

> What you are looking for would probably be better suited by a plugin
> architecture.

K...

> Plugins can be implemented in a variety of ways, ranging
> from DLL's/.so's (look to LoadLibrary and GetProcAddress API functions
> in Windows, I don't know the Linux versions for .so's)

I have no intention of buying much less programming a current version of
windows... I poked around in Borland C++ 4.51 looking for said functions
but I couldn't find them in the helpfile... There was nothing resembling
those in the Free Pascal docs either.

> to named pipes (doable in windows and linux) to COM/COM+/DCOM
> implementations (Windows only?).

Pipes suck... Furthermore I don't know how to be tyranical over the
child process if it had that much autonomy.

> Look for sample plugin frameworks and see what you can find that suits
> your needs.

What keywords should I google?

> It may be Delphi code, and may be Windows specific, but it should get
> you thinking about methods that don't require quite the hassles and
> dangers that TP's old overlay method brought.

=\

--
Linux has more source code than my brain.
http://users.rcn.com/alangrimes/