[fpc-pascal]My application is making my system less responsive

barry at beenthere-donethat.org.uk barry at beenthere-donethat.org.uk
Wed Sep 5 13:00:39 CEST 2001

I am writing an application for backing up, to and restoring from, a
tape streamer which uses Afio for backup and the Forms library for the
user interface.

In order to display files within a tape archive I am using POpen() in
conjuction with Afio -tv.  Using a 'While' loop I read each filename
output by afio with ReadLn() and display it in a browser.

Whilst the loop is active CPU usage is high, movement of the mouse
pointer becomes a bit jerky and, if the pointer is moved over the
browser listing, it flickers so much it is barely visible.

I do use fl_check_forms within the loop but it doesn't seem to help
much.

Is there something I can do to alleviate the problem?

Barry Samuels