AW: [fpc-pascal]Create an OCX with FreePascal

Full_Name memsom at post.interalpha.co.uk
Thu Oct 11 17:39:34 CEST 2001

Quoting Dirk Mattes <Dirk.Mattes at unitedplanet.de>:

> You can create OCX-Controls (as far as i know) with every version of
> Delphi since 2.0, so:

Yes and no. Delphi 2.0 implemented OLE Automation in a weird and now legacy
fashion. It used another section in the visibility labels/sections
called 'Automated'. I wouldn't touch it with a bargepole (i.e. it is not very
good.) It'll be hard to find anyone who still uses this technique these days.
D2 is a bit of a turkey, all in all.

> 1.) Try to get an old version at ebay for few bucks or (Delphi 3
> Standard ~ $15, Delphi 3 C/S ~ $200).

You will need Professional or Client/Server (aka Enterprise) as no version of
Delphi below pro will create ActiveX controls or allow you to import type libs
etc. IIRC you don't even get the dcu's for the Units relating to this
functionality.

> 2.) Try to get Borland Delphi 6.0 Personal Edition. It's free for
> non-commercial use

The personal edition does not allow commercial software development. There's no
point in Thierry downloading it if he wants to do so.

> I don't know, if there's something missing in Personal Edition of Delphi other
> than the sources of VCL (i heard some rumours about the help files, but
> I am not sure).

Yes, most of the functionality you are suggesting he uses. You can not create
ActiveX components or do OLEAutomation with the Personal edition. Else what
reason wold we have to *pay* for the Developer editions?

Further to your later email Dirk: No the Personal edition is free for personal
use (after you register for free online.) If you pay Borland $99 you get a
certain amount of support and CD/manuals. If you download it, you have no
CD/manuals and you're 'on your own' support wise.

You may be getting confused with the Enterprise Trial. You can download this
(~60mb d/l though.) You can then register for a 60 day trial.

Matt

--

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids,
we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and