[fpc-pascal]RE: filemode info for fpc docn - was w2000 file o

XHajT03 at mbox.vol.cz XHajT03 at mbox.vol.cz
Sun May 13 18:27:03 CEST 2001

To:             	fpc-pascal at deadlock.et.tudelft.nl
From:           	Peter Vreman <peter at freepascal.org>
Subject:        	RE: [fpc-pascal]RE: filemode info for fpc docn - was w2000 file o
Date sent:      	Fri, 11 May 2001 14:10:50 GMT
Send reply to:  	fpc-pascal at deadlock.et.tudelft.nl

> > I was trying to suggest a new way that is o/s independent...
>
> The current way is o/s independent! So i don't see why a new way
> should be created. It'll make things only more incompatible and
> complex.

 It isn't fully OS independent, in fact, because FileMode constants
don't have the same meaning on all supported platforms. The trouble
John is having is probably caused by the fact that DOS with SHARE.EXE
loaded (which is simulated by all VDMs) uses sharing mode of 0 (i.e.
none sharing mode specified) as the so-called "compatibility mode"
with basically the same behaviour as "deny none", whereas you have to
use a specific (different) sharing mode number on other targets
(including Win32 and OS/2) for this. We could probably add a
workaround for this to do_open, the question is, whether we want to
do so (it would break compatibility with previous releases, among
other things).

Tomas