[fpc-pascal]Double-precision recursion

Rich Pasco pasco at acm.org
Fri Mar 30 00:16:15 CEST 2001

Johan Blok <johanbloK at ix.nl> wrote,

> In that case it should give runtime error 202, I checked that with stack
checking
> on. It gives runtime error 207 (Invalid Floating Point operation).

The key concept is that there are two separate stacks here.
Runtime error 202 is overflow of the normal subroutine call stack.
Runtime error 207 a catch-all for various FPU exceptions, such as
divide-by-zero, numerical overflow, and FPU stack overflow.

> Besides this I compiled it using the GNU Pascal Compiler. Now it works,
> as I expected, because
> gpc shares almost all important compiler stuff with gcc.
>
> Isn't it a bug of fpc?

Yes, I think so.

Marco van de Voort <marcov at stack.nl> wrote,

> If BP behaves the same way, we are compatible, and then it is not a bug :-)

I hope you were joking.  To emulate bugs of obsolete systems is not a
good way to create the new.

It seems that FPC follows BP in failing to handle the FPU stack.
This failure should be fixed in FPC.

     - Rich